Youth With A Mission is a global movement of Christians from many cultures, age groups, and Christian traditions, dedicated to serving Jesus throughout the world. Also known as YWAM (pronounced “WHY-wham”), we unite in a common purpose to know God and to make Him known.
Back when we began in 1960, our main focus was to get youth involved in missions. Today, we still focus on youth, and we also involve people aged 9 to 90. We currently work in more than 1,100 locations in over 180 countries, with a staff of over 18,000.
One of the joys of participating in YWAM is to work with people from many nations. YWAM’s missionaries (known as “YWAMers”) come from over 130 countries, including places like Indonesia, Nepal, Mozambique, and Colombia.
Youth With A Mission (YWAM) affirms the Bible as the authoritative word of God and, with the Holy Spirit’s inspiration, the absolute reference point for every aspect of life and ministry. Based upon God’s word, who He is, and His initiative of salvation through the atoning work of Jesus (His death, burial, and resurrection), the following responses are strongly emphasized in YWAM:
- Worship: We are called to praise and worship God alone.
- Holiness: We are called to lead holy and righteous lives that exemplify the nature and character of God.
- Witness: We are called to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with those who do not know Him.
- Prayer: We are called to engage in intercessory prayer for the people and causes on God’s heart, including standing against evil in every form.
- Fellowship: We are called to commit to the Church in both its local nurturing expression and its mobile multiplying expression.
YWAM England started in 1971 with a team of 4 people, and now includes over 20 operation locations involved in local, nationwide and global outreach, with more than 300 YWAMers committed to knowing God and making Him known.